If you're looking to surprise your loved ones in 30 minutes, Kasim Haraway's energizing pancake cereal with lavender-infused maple syrup is the way to go. Not only will you get to impress them with your pancake flipping skills — we say try to flip a minimum of 10 at a time, just to say you can — but this easy five-step breakfast recipe will make you forget about boxed pancake batter forever.
Packed with flaxseed, bananas, and eggs, these pancakes are protein-packed for a morning energy boost. But the real element of delight is going come to the crunchy exterior to the soft, fluffy interior that’s in every spoonful.
Or maybe it's the delicious lavender syrup, which lasts up to a month and can be used to top other sweet treats. That herby, sweet flavor is also known to induce calm, even on the most hectic of mornings.
Energizing Pancake Cereal
Pre: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose
- 1 ripe banana, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. neutral oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- cooking spray (optional)
- Add buttermilk (or milk), flour, banana, eggs, oil, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, flax seed, and salt to a blender and pulse until smooth and thoroughly mixed.
- Pour pancake batter into a squeeze bottle, or use a plastic zip-top bag and cut a tiny hole in one corner.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan to medium heat. If using a griddle or skillet that isn’t non-stick, spray the pan first with cooking spray.
- Squeeze the pancake batter into small dots, roughly the size of a nickel, onto the pan. Once the tops of the pancakes are bubbly, flip each of them over with a spatula, fork, or spoon.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy. Serve with melted butter, fresh fruit or maple syrup.
Lavender-Infused Maple Syrup
Cook time: 10 minutes
Rest time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender buds
- Simmer maple syrup and lavender buds for ten minutes over medium-low heat. Turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla. Steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve, and discard the lavender buds. Once cool, place in a sealable jar or container. Keep the syrup refrigerated for up to a month.
Top these pancakes off with a handful of berries, or serve these pancakes with a side of bacon and eggs. Whatever floats your bowl.
Recipes by Kasim Hardaway.
If you found this article helpful, consider sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram or emailing it to any friends or family members who might benefit from a better night’s sleep. Sharing is caring!